I had the privilege to talk this last sunday in sacrament. I thought I would share my talk with friends and family. I was asked to talk on the seven things I'm thankful for, what an easy topic- because there are so sooo many things that I'm am thankful for- I am truly blessed.
My talk will be based off of President Monson’s talk “An Attitude of Gratitude”. He starts out with the most well known example of gratitude in the scriptures, the 10 lepers. In luke 17: 11-19 it reads… One of the most significant details of this story is that the one grateful man was a Samaritan, which seems to show how often those of lesser importance or social status are often more meek and humble.
Humility goes hand in hand with Gratitude. James E. Talmage says “Gratitude is the sister twin to humility”. In Mosiah 3:19 it says”… and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him even as a child doth submit to his father.” I was curious to see what things little children are grateful for, so I asked my children….
I think being willing to submit to all things is one of our best ways to show our gratitude. Our obedience to the laws, ordinances, and commandments is the greatest expression of love and gratitude we can give. We know that we are given commandments and guidance for our own good, and that the Lord knows us each individually and what we need. My favorite scripture is Alma 37:37.…… Because while we see what we are going through and we think we know what is best for us, the Lord sees all of our potential and what is best for us in the long run. So if we rely on him for everything and let him be our guide (our eyes) we know that all will work out for our good.
President Monson goes on to list plagues of today, which are, selfishness, greed, indulgence, cruelty, crime, criticize, complaining, blame, ect…. Those are the opposites of gratitude. One thing we must try not to do is the 3 c’s. Never Criticize, Compare, or Complain.
He continues, “This is a wonderful time to be living here on earth. Our opportunities are limitless. While there are some things wrong in the world today, there are many things right, such as teachers who teach, ministers who minister, marriages that make it, parents who sacrifice, and friends who help.”
Focus on the positive things and the things you are grateful for. So I set that as a goal for myself, to see the good in the world and in people. And surprisingly there really is a lot of good to see, just like President Monson mentioned, “marriages that make it, parents that sacrifice, friends who help”, and so many more.
By reflecting upon our lives as individuals. We will soon discover much to prompt our personal gratitude.
First- I have gratitude to my husband. He is ever willing to sacrifice his own comfort for that of his children. Everyday he works hard to provide the necessities of life, never complaining, ever concerned for the well-being of his family.
He always puts my needs and my children’s needs before his own. My husband also showers me with love. He always makes me feel so appreciated and the ugly duckling that I think I am- he always makes me feel like the beautiful swan.
He is the Best Dad to my kids. So thanks to my husband for making my once upon a time….. My happily ever after.
Second- I have gratitude to my children. They are my most treasured blessings. They make me laugh, cry, smile, and proud. Everyday I look at my kids and feel so blessed. My older girls are the best! They are so good to their younger siblings. Last year when I was so sick with those kidney infections. There were days when I couldn’t get out of bed and my girls would come home from school and they would say to each other- mom’s sick let’s get the house picked up. They are such great daughters- I am so thankful for their willingness to help out and the love they show to each other and to their brothers and baby sister. So thanks to my children for making our home a home filled with love and laughter.
Third- I have gratitude to my in-laws. They are so good to me and my children. My kids adore and love them so much. When I bought their home, I never knew I would have a babysitter too. Almost, everyday my boys wake-up and put their boots and hats on and race out to find their grandpa and I can hear him holler at em’ and off they run and he always let’s them help him. So thanks you so much for loving my kids. I feel so blessed that they get you to love them.
Fourth- I have gratitude to my parents. I am so grateful for all the many things that they have done for me. I am so blessed to have eight brothers and sisters. Now that I have my own family I can’t believe my mom had nine kids. But how lucky we are. They have blessed my life in so many ways. So thanks mom and dad for giving me five brothers and three sisters to go through life with. And for giving me the teachings of the gospel.
Fifth- I have gratitude to my sisters. I am so grateful to have sisters. There is not a day that goes by that I haven’t shared with them something about my day. They are my best friends, and they are always their for me whenever I need them. One time I stepped on a crochet needle and it went all the way into the heel of my foot. It didn’t hurt, but I couldn’t get it out so I called my sister at work and told her what happened. She automatically cancelled all her appointments and came and took me to the hospital come to find out I had to have surgery to remove the needle. I had to go to Provo. So we called my other sister at work and she cam and got my kids and they hung out with her at work till closing. I couldn’t get a hold of casey so my dear sister drove me all the way to Provo. So thanks for always being there for me, whenever I need it. And for being my best friends.
Sixth- I have gratitude to my Aunt and Uncle. I am so grateful for the love they have given me. I am so grateful for the many sacrifices they made for me. So thanks for always being there for me and my family.
Seventh- I have gratitude to my Savior. Because of him I have all these wonderful blessings. Without the gospel I would be lost, in this crazy world. The gospel is what truly makes me happy. It is the foundation that I have built my life on. When I feel all alone, I feel the Savior’s love and remember what is really important. So thanks for the gospel that enriches my life and the Savior for his love that touches my heart and his atonement which makes it possible for me to have an eternal family.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
3 months ago

wish i could have been there for your talk! you are amazing!!! love ya!
ReplyDelete